It has been two and a bit weeks since Comrades 2010 and although my work schedule has been pretty crazy I’ve had some time to digest the events that unfolded on the road to Durban on 30 May 2010. You may or may not know what happened but in a nutshell I missed the cut off at 60km (29km to go) and was pulled off the road. No excuses, I just wasn’t good enough on the day but will be back in 2011 fitter, leaner and stronger to finish off what I started.
In the meantime though its time to set a few new goals for the rest of this year and the first bit of 2011. I have been saying in the build up to Comrades this year that once it was done I would be keen to give a triathlon a bash. I still feel that way but obviously the long term goal is Comrades 2011.
So here is what I’ve come up with as goals between now and 16 June 2011:
1. Complete a couple of the Energade triathlons which start in October.
2. Run the Soweto marathon in November.
3. Ride the 94.7 Cycle Challenge in November (and at the same time try and raise R1 000 000 for the PinkDrive)
4. Complete the half iron man in East London in January
5. Run the Johnson Crane Marathon.
6. Swim the Midmar Mile in February.
7. Run the Vaal Marathon in March
8. Run the Two Oceans and/or Loskop Ultra’s in April
9. Complete the Comrades Marathon in June 2011.
Some of this list may change between now and then but at least it’s out there. I’ve learnt that unless a goal is out there you’re never going to achieve it!